By Stacy Brown
Everyone agrees that fall is wonderful. It’s uplifting to hear friends wax poetic about the crispness in the air, the crunch of leaves underfoot, the smell of pumpkin spice-flavored everything, and the sounds of the gridiron back for another season.
You might not expect it, but the best place to take in all of your favorites this time of year is around a charming downtown like Woodstock. Allow me to demonstrate Oprah-style with my own favorite things list.
• Voting often for your favorite entry in the Scarecrow Invasion in the Visitors Center at Dean’s Store.
• Escaping under the Friday Night Lights to cheer for the Woodstock Wolverines, the Etowah Eagles or the River Ridge Knights.
• Savoring seasonal, fresh-baked pies from the local pie bar.
• Supporting a great cause with lots of fun at the Woodstock Lions Fall Festival on Oct. 8.
• Snagging a great ensemble in team colors from a downtown boutique before a day of tailgating.
• Gathering with friends to watch a little NFL at the local food truck restaurant.
• Pounding the pavement at the It’s Fall Y’all 5K and Festival benefiting Cherokee Impact Soccer on Oct. 15.
• Taking in glorious fall colors reflecting on the waters of Lake Allatoona while taking a Little River Marina foliage tour.
• Mellowing out with a cigar at a downtown cigar bar after a day of raking leaves.
• Enjoying a refreshing pint or two from our local brewery at Friday Night Live: Oktoberfest on Oct. 7.
• Picking the perfect pumpkin on a hayride at a nearby pumpkin patch. (Insider tip: you may want to add a fried pie at checkout.)
• Taking the little ones trick-or-treating at KidsFest in The Park at City Center on Oct. 31.
Don’t miss the opportunity to escape, gather and refresh in a city unexpected before fall fades away and the holiday season begins.