It’s back-to-school season! It may be hard to give up the freedom of summer, but there’s something exciting about a new box of crayons or a set of clean notebooks. Such simple things can make a big difference. For some, school supplies are luxuries, and heading back to school can be overwhelming and stressful. Too many children in our community don’t have stable homes or access to food, much less the clothes and pencils they need to succeed. But you can help! There are several projects on justserve.org that can enable students to start the school year strong.
- Donate school supplies. Support SimpleNeeds GA’s school-focused programs: Uniforms for Excellence, Shoe Them Love and a general school supply drive. Each of these programs are high-impact and easy to support. (bit.ly/46E1QwY)
- Help dress those in need. Sort and hang donated clothing at House of Hope North Georgia in Canton. This is a great opportunity for people of all ages, even children, to help make an impact in the lives of students who want to make their best first impression at school. (bit.ly/3ObcqEN)
- Donate books. Cobb Collaborative has an ongoing initiative to promote literacy and unite families, educators and the community. You can donate new or gently used books locally, or ship them to Cobb Collaborative using its Amazon Wish List. (bit.ly/3IJ8gzZ)
- Gather items for Together for Families. Check out this listing for general instructions on how to get started hosting a drive. Then, choose the theme of your drive. One person can make a greater difference by involving friends. (bit.ly/44yckMq)
Be sure to check out these great projects — and more! — on the JustServe website. Or, for additional ideas, join the JustServe Georgia Volunteers public Facebook group. It never has been easier to make a difference in someone’s life.
Justserve.org is a free, international website and app that works to match volunteers with nonprofit organizations and service opportunities. There are local representatives in our community. If you run a nonprofit, or are looking for ways to make service a regular part of your life, check out justserve.org. You can sign up for regular updates and learn more about organizations nearby, too. JustServe makes it easy just to go out and serve!
– Susannah MacKay is a local JustServe specialist. She grew up in Marietta and loves helping strengthen her community through service! Follow her on Facebook @JustServeGeorgia.